06 August, 2009

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor

Yes, I write so many things in this blog, I had to write about her too! Sonia Sotomayor is now officially a Supreme Court Justice of the United States. Needless to say, this is a major step forward for many people. She is the first Hispanic judge, and third female judge on the Supreme Court and her background, both academically and developmentally are sure to have given her the tools she needs to make decisions that are right and just for United States Citizens, residents, and immigrants.

It goes without fail that many people are looking to Sotomayor to see what she can bring to her position. She's Hispanic, she is a female, she had a poor upbringing, she is Catholic, she is divorced, and she is a diabetic. In many ways, she is many things in one. I'm sure many of these groups will look to her to see the decisions she makes and how she makes them. We already know where she stands on many things, but I want to know where she stands when it comes to LGBT rights.

According to Citizen Crain: The Independent Gay Blog, Sotomayor has not faced many cases involving LGBT rights, and this is true. So not much is known about her views. While I don't know much about where Sotomayor stands on this issue, I am very interested to find out. In these years to come, I'm sure that we are going to find many cases involving this very issue, and I want to know where this Judge stands on it.

Judge Sotomayor does seem to one that is more fact based, than ideal based. And this can come to our favor, so I hope that should cases like these do appear, she makes the decisions that does help our community.

Until then, I do extend my congratulations to my fellow South Bronx native, Hispanic woman who went to a high school and elementary school that many of my friends have attended and am glad that her nomination went through. Also, I feel it is necessary that I must add this- Obama is President!

2 comments:

  1. Why do you mention that Obama is president?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just... I had... it's the small, but still there... "you can take the girl out of the bronx, but not the bronx out of the girl."

    ReplyDelete