28 July, 2009

#95 - The World Unseen

Can I just start by saying that I think I love Shamim Sarif? Okay? Alright, I'll say it. I think I love her talent. She is an awesome director. I also love Lisa Ray and Sheetal Sheth.

I just finished watching The World Unseen and I was very impressed by the overall movie and, once again the two gorgeous actresses. Unlike Sarif's later movie, I Can't Think Straight, this movie is by no means a comedy, in fact, calling it that could not be further from the truth. At times, the movie was gut wrenching and very difficult to watch. The debut of the two actresses was phenomenal. Like in their later film, the chemistry between Lisa Ray and Sheetal Sheth is undeniable, and their ability to play a range of emotions makes their movies fantastic.

Like I said, the movie is often times very difficult to watch. It takes place in South Africa during the apartheid, where racism and machistmo reign supreme. The main character, Amina, is a free spirit who owns a cafe (which for a woman to do that during this time is pretty impressive). Amina defies gender norms and while not out of the closet, people in the town do talk. She falls in love with Miriam, a housewife who has 3 children, a conservative husband, and just a woman who never really thought she had any options, or the right to think.

The progression of their relationship is well paced and while nothing is really resolved at the end of the film, you are left at peace with the characters. These two women develop wonderfully into stronger women after their experiences, and it was great to once again watch their relationship blossom.

Another topic that is touched upon in this movie is racism. Then again, if you are having a movie take place during apartheid, you are bound to touch on this subject. The relationship between Amina's black friend and the white woman he feel in love with was touching, and heartbreaking to watch. The racism he, along with some of the darker skinned characters faced was both infuriating and terrible to watch. You really felt for all the characters in this movie.

I strongly recommend this movie to anyone who wishes to see it. It's not just a lesbian movie, and it's not just a movie about race. It's a movie about the human condition.

I have loved the two movies directed by Sarif, and I can't wait to see what else she'll come out with.

2 comments:

  1. GREAT POST

    Nor can we all [I MOSTLY] wait for what she has coming up next!!!! I have seen both movies, and they are just amazing! Sheetal Sheth and Lisa Ray make a great team , beautiful actors!

    Soon I will be a proud owner of both copies of the movies, now that I am able to buy a copy that is American format.

    http://www.enlightenment-productions.com/howtoget.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment G-Garcia! Don't worry, you're not the only one who can't wait to see what else she will come out with!

    I too was quite happy to see that they are coming out with US format. Amazon also has it on pre-order.

    ReplyDelete