15 July, 2009

Fuera de Carta


So, I just finished watching a movie from Spain called Fuera de Carta. It's a movie about an owner of a restaurant who happens to be gay, his matre'de/fag hag that happens to hump everything that moves, and the ex-professional soccer player that moves in right next to them, and the hilarity that ensues. Oh, and I should also mention that the owner, Max, has to also take care of his 15 year old son, and 5 year old daughter who are now under his care after their mother (his ex-wife) dies in the beginning of the move. He has to find a way to balance his in-the-closet boyfriend, insane friend, misbehaving kids, and goals of being rated one of the top restaurants in Spain.

Not the best movie I've seen by a long shot. But it was good enough. It's just a gay chick flick, and since I do love my chick flicks... I'll tolerate it. The acting could have been better, and the writing needed some work, as did the camera angles, but all in all, it was decent. The characters were believable. None of them were particularly good or bad, just... troubled. Which, in itself was a good thing. It made the characters easier to relate to, even if they were frustrating.

I don't know much about gay movies to really compare it to anything else. The only two I've seen other than this one is Quemar las Naves and Brokeback Mountain. Of course I've seen a plethora of lesbian movies...but these are out of my realm of knowledge!

If you're looking for a couple good laughs, zanny story plots and characters...go for it. Don't buy it...just rent it. But a word of caution... even if you are proficient in Spanish, I'd recommend using subtitles. Even for a native speaker...those Spaniards sure talk fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment