20 July, 2009

Facts of Life

I've to got to say. I don't have much of a gaydar, but the character Jo from the Facts of Life totally turns it on. Sure I'm about 20 years too late, but I, like so many others, am going to make a case for said theory.

She has a very masculine, "tough guy", persona. She dresses like a complete tomboy and is often in male clothing. She rides a motorcycle. Even if she wasn't gay, she is some kind of queer.

And now let's talk about her relationship with Blair. This relationship can best be described as a love/hate relationship with a chemistry that is so thick that it can be cut with knife. The tension, interaction, and attraction cannot be denied. So many slash fics have been written about the two of them is amazing. Even though they do add love interests and etc, I'm not completely won over by those distractions.

In one of the beginning episodes of the first season, the Facts of Life discussed lesbianism, and how one of the students was picked on. Unfortunately, I have never seen the episode, but the fact that it was talked about does show that it's not a subject they were unwilling to approach.

What do you think? And who else do you think is an "in the closet" character that probably will never come out. Darlene from Rosanne comes to mind, who by the way is played by a gay actress (this I did not know until about 2 months ago!)

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen the skit that "The Big Gay Sketch Show" did on the FoL? It completely coincides with your theory, especially concerning the Jo/Blair relationship. After I watched the skit, I YouTubed the FoL, and watched part of an episode. So, I see what you (and they) mean.

    "Roseanne" was on the list of shows I wasn't allowed to watch as a kid. Although, I will say that Jo, from the book, "Little Women," always struck me as a big ole 'mo. Could she have been just a very hardcore tomboy? That's certainly what Louisa May Alcott would have us believe.

    But, really. We know better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, yes I always thought the same think with Jo. And then she goes off to marry a guy who is 20+ her elder,...come on..

    P.S. I always held a candle for Beth. I was heartbroken when she died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And really? Rosanne? Aww...thank goodness for immigrant parents who didn't know what they were saying in English :P

    ooo! Sue Ellen from Arthur. YES!

    Also, Don't you think that's how I would have worn my uniform had we had a tie and vest? I already did that with the shirt haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, "Roseanne," "Married with Children," "The Wayans Brothers," "South Park." A good number. But, I found that it worked to my advantage, so no harm, no foul.

    Sue Ellen? Really?

    And, yes, you definitely would have worn your tie like that.

    ReplyDelete