23 July, 2009

Really?

It just amazes me how ignorant people can be online and in the world. I was recently on afterellen.com and there was an article about the ABC special about a mtf transition, and how it was going to affect her family, her wife, her life, etc.

First off, there were a couple things with the previews for the episode that I had trouble with. Granted, I did not see the program, so I do not know how much of what was portrayed in the commercials was portrayed in the actual show. It seemed to me to look like it wasn't so much the process, but how it was going to negatively affect the family and children. Rather than highlighting the good, it was showing the bad. It was making the trans issue a "family secret," which is completely unacceptable.

Now, back to what angered me even more. In the comments area, one woman actually said how she could not understand why someone would do that, and instead just stay the way he was. This was completely disrespectful to the trans community as a whole. I mean, it is pretty well known that there is some friction between the trans and lgb community (ahem...HRC?) and a part of that may come from ignorance or just close-mindedness. But to just brush off the experience of another human being and look down upon is ridiculous. Especially as a member of the lgb community... really? You are really going to do that. Amazing.

I am glad that so many people called out the OP for her downright ignorant statement. I am glad that people brought it into her own frame of reference and how people could say "ooh, I don't know why she's gay, she might as well stay straight." There are people out there who think before they speak. But I guess I am just flabbergasted that this is even happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment