22 July, 2009

#62 - Nina's Heavenly Delights


Who knew cooking could be so sexy? Well, after watching this Indian/Scottish movie (which made for some awesome accents, albeit a bit difficult to understand at times), I am now a believer.

So I just finished watching Nina's Heavenly Delights (number 3 on the Amazon happy lesbian list, number 62 on the 101 movies to see for lesbians). I've got to say it was a good movie. It had all the elements of one. Great cast, great acting, great script, story line, etc.

Yet, now I must refer to something Nina said at a couple points in the movie when talking about good vs. great cooking - just because a meal has all the ingredients, if the chemistry isn't right, then it won't taste that great. Unfortunately, I must use her own words against her when describing this movie. There was something that was missing. I feel like the chemistry between Nina and her main squeeze was just not... there. They both played their part well, and it wasn't awkward, but I guess it also wasn't very believable. There was no intimacy between them - just a relationship. Don't get me wrong, there were scenes where this was the case. Nina teaching Lisa how to cook, them tasting the food, meeting at the club... all great scenes acted out wonderfully. But there wasn't any chemistry between the actresses. I couldn't believe that the two characters were in the love. It all felt a little empty.

However, that is not the say that in general the movie wasn't that good, or that it didn't leave me smiling. On the contrary, I was laughing, tearing up, fuming, all within a period of 120 minutes.

What I liked about the movie was that the lesbianism wasn't obvious, or at least not the focus of the film for at least 30 minutes into it. Illusions were made of course (Nina left her fiance at the altar before going off to London for a few years), eye contact, side comments Nina's flamboyantly gay friend makes upon her arrival, but if you weren't watching close enough, or didn't know anything about the movie before watching it, you would have been surprised when Nina's orientation came to play.

Nina's love life came second to the bigger story arc. A family getting over a death and also trying to win a competition for the title of best curry restaurant. Nina's love life, and the secrets her brother and sister held were also amusing and in the end tied well together.

I also particularly liked Nina's internal conflict of whether to come out to her family or not to. She had much to lose if she did and if she didn't. And that heartfelt conversation with her friend was one that I'm sure many of us could relate to. I appreciated how the character voiced the fears that are often just left unsaid mainly because it's already pretty obvious as to why the character cannot come out.

(Spoiler ahead)

I did find the ending to be a bit cliche. We've already seen it before in Imagine Me & You and in Saving Face. Lisa leaves Nina because she won't come out, Nina is heartbroken, and then her mother comes to the rescue, gives her the advice, courage, and approval she needs to get her girl back. But then again, it is a nice touch to add. Sure Saving Face did it a bit better, but that's up to the taste of the viewer.

(End of Spoiler)

I've got to say, Nina's Heavenly Delights was heavenly to watch. Like I said, it had all the elements of a really great (chic flick) movie and I really enjoyed it. But in the end, when all the ingredients were in the pot, I think it was just the chemistry that did it in. It wasn't amazing, and it wasn't memorable. However, it was a better movie that others that I've seen and and it's one that people can enjoy and even love (as I am sure that there are some would probably not agree with what I've just said).

So... Buen Provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment